- Hackerspace/Makerspace: publicly accessible community workshop with a variety of tools, often run by a community.
- Fab Lab: publicly accessible community workshop with a specific set of digital fabrication tools that allows you to “make (almost) anything,” must be registered with the official Fab Lab network
- T = Tech Hub: community center and/or co-working space with a focus on software
- Business Incubator: center for assisting entrepreneurs in launching and growing new businesses, which may or may not have tools
- Appropriate / Rural Technology Facility: community workshop with a focus on practical mechanical technologies, generally related to agriculture, construction, and/or auto-mechanics
- Distributed Network or Event: a virtual community or occasional meet-up that shares the values of innovation spaces, but lacks a permanent physical location